The Beginning of a Journey

Last week my GP gave me my test results from my stool/urine/blood tests. The results weren't good, as expected. I didn't expect him to announce that he was certain it was Crohn's, though. I couldn't believe it, since I had no pain. Since then, I've had a little pain, and I'm hoping it will stay little while I wait for my appointment to get a colonoscopy.

As soon as I came back home I started reading online. I was already watching Dr. Michael Greger's videos on nutritionfacts.org, but I decided to go look at the ones specifically for IBD and Crohn's. What I learned is that certain people manage to put their disease into remission thanks to a plant-based diet (though not exclusively plants).

I am starting this blog to track what I do and what I eat so that it can help me (and perhaps others) in the process of healing from this rather awful disease.


Right now, I have adopted the diet from the most successful study on diet and Crohn's so far. I also try to follow Dr. Greger's "Daily Dozen" (you can get an app to track these on Android/iPhone) for general health. The only change I have made to the semi-vegetarian diet is that I omit meat entirely. I see no reason why meat should be eaten once every two weeks. I cannot think of a single advantage. My B12 levels were very high in my tests, so I clearly don't need B12 from animal products. Not that I would choose to get my B12 this way anyway. So I will only eat fish as mentioned in the study, but no meat (both for health and ethical reasons). I've also been drinking adaptogenic tea (Gynostemma-based) instead of Bancha tea, which I am waiting for in the mail and is the tea that was used in the study.


I will go into more details in the next blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I now self-identify as an Ostreovegan

Intermittent Fasting + Weight Update

Whole Day of Eating